Egg-Topped Breakfast Hash
1 cup roughly chopped cauliflower
1/4 cup quick-cooking corn grits
2 dashes salt
1/4 cup (about 2 large) egg whites
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3 cups roughly chopped spinach leaves
1 tsp. dried minced onion
2 large eggs
Optional topping: black pepper
- Pulse cauliflower in a blender until reduced to rice-sized pieces. (Or use Cauliflower Crumbles). Transfer to a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Add grits, a dash of salt, and 1/3 cup water. Mix well. Cover and microwave for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir well, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add egg whites and cheese, and mix thoroughly.
- Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and crumble cauliflower mixture until fully cooked and lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add spinach, onion, and remaining dash of salt. Cook and stir until spinach has wilted, about 1 minute.
- Divide mixture between 2 plates or bowls, and cover to keep warm.
- Remove skillet from heat; clean, if needed. Re-spray, and bring to medium heat. Crack eggs into the skillet, well spaced from each other, and cook per your preference. (Or cook one at a time.)
- Top each portion of the hash with an egg.
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
1/2 of recipe (about 1 cup hash with 1 egg): 225 calories, 8g total
fat (3.5g sat fat), 431mg sodium, 21g carbs, 3g fiber, 2.5g sugars,
Publish Date: November 9, 2015 Author: Hungry Girl Copyright © 2015 Hungry Girl. All Rights Reserved.
FOR MORE RECIPES:
- Follow TUCSON BARIATRIC (Pinner Name) on www.pinterest.com
- See the nutrition corner on our website: www.tucsonbariatric.com