Low in Iron? 5 Things You Can Do To Get More
5 Things You Can Do to Get More Iron
- Cook in a cast iron skillet.
- Eat vitamin C rich foods (esp. bell peppers, dark leafy greens, kiwi, broccoli, berries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, papayas) at the same time you eat iron rich foods (ex: meat, fish, poultry, pork, beans, peas)
- Avoid tea or coffee at meal time and 1-2 hours before meals. Compounds called “tannins” in these drinks reduce iron absorption.
- Avoid taking your calcium supplements with iron rich meals. Calcium and iron compete for absorption.
- Avoid taking calcium supplements and iron supplements together. Calcium and iron compete for absorption.