These are a riff on the deep fried Crab Rangoon served in all Chinese American restaurants. A little warm melted cream cheese and crab is pretty heavenly in a crisp wonton cup.
- 12 fresh wonton wrappers – found in the produce section of most grocery stores
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 6 ounces shrimp
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted red pepper – use peppers from a jar
- a few drops of Tabasco sauce
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly brush your wontons with peanut oil and fit into mini muffin cups (brushing with oil creates a nice crispy cup)
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 12 to 15 minutes, until crisp and golden. Remove from oven to cool while preparing filling. Blend crab, cream cheese, scallions, roasted red pepper and hot sauce – season lightly with salt and pepper, adding additional hot sauce to taste.
Divide crab into cups. Bake an additional 4 to 6 minutes, until wonton is golden and filling is melted.