Saucy Italian Burger on a Lettuce Bun
The flavors of pasta al pomodoro get all up on a lean beef patty, nestled inside crunchy lettuce. It doesn’t get much better than this…
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 2 dashes each salt and black pepper
- 4 oz. raw extra-lean ground beef (4% fat or less)
- Dash Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 large (or 2 extra-large) iceberg or butter lettuce leaves
To make the sauce, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, basil, 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. onion powder, and a dash each salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine beef, Italian seasoning and remaining 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. onion powder, and dash each salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Form into a 4-inch-wide patty. Bring a grill pan (or skillet) sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook patty for 3 minutes. Flip patty, and cook for 3 – 4 more minutes, or until cooked to your preference.
Meanwhile, cover sauce, and microwave for 20 seconds, or until warm. Mix well.
Top patty with cheese. Cover and cook for 1 minute, or until cheese has melted.
Stack two large lettuce leaves, and place cheese-topped patty in the center (or stack two extra-large leaves, and place patty over one half). Top with sauce, and finish with the remaining two large lettuce leaves (or wrap the extra-large leaves around the filling). MAKES 1 SERVING
Entire recipe: 230 calories, 29.5g protein, 9.5g carbs, 7.5g fat, 646mg sodium, 3g fiber, 4.5g sugars
Recipe source: www.hungrygirl.com
FOR MORE RECIPES:
- Follow TUCSON BARIATRIC (Pinner Name) on www.pinterest.com
- See the nutrition corner on our website: www.tucsonbariatric.com