10 Breadless Sandwiches Ideas
What Can I Use in Place of Bread if I Want to Eat a Sandwich?
- Tomato Slices: Layer part skim mozzarella and basil on a one tomato slice. Top with another tomato slice.
- Cucumber Boat: Hollow out a cucumber (peel first if you don’t tolerate the skin). Fill inside with tuna salad or chicken salad (prepared with plain nonfat greek yogurt in lieu of mayonnaise).
- Red Pepper Boat: De-stem and De-seed a red, green, or yellow bell pepper and cut in half. Top with a dollop of hummus and then add turkey slices.
- Grilled Eggplant Slices: Top one slice of grilled eggplant with roast beef and lowfat cheese, then top off with second slice of eggplant.
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Cap: Fill with shredded chicken and a dollop of guacamole.
- Lettuce Wraps: Use a leaf of butter lettuce, romaine lettuce or collard greens and fill with your favorite sandwich fillings (turkey, lean ham, chicken, roast beef, lowfat cheese, ….)
- Apple Slices #1 : Layer turkey or lean ham and lowfat cheese between 2 apple slices.
- Apple Slices #2: Prepare PB2 (mix PB2 with a little water to mimic consistency of “real” peanut butter), then stir in some shredded carrots . Serve between 2 apple slices.
- Inside Out Wrap: Wrap turkey or chicken slices around baby spinach and shredded carrots.
- NO Bread Necessary: Load up a wooden skewer with alternating turkey slices (folded), cucumber slices, lowfat cheese, cherry tomatoes (yellow and/or red).