Apple Turkey Chili
- 2 tsp olive or canola oil
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Jalapeño pepper, minced, seeded
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1 lb Turkey, ground, 97% lean
- 4 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano leaves
- 1 15oz can no-salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Apple, mildly tart (such as Ginger Gold, Braeburn or Jonagold), cored and sliced
- 1 15oz can undrained no-salt-added chili beans in chili sauce
- 1 14.5oz can undrained no-salt-added small diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup Apple cider or juice
- 1/2 tsp Brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp Reduced-fat or fat-free sour cream
- Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add onion, jalapeño and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add ground turkey to onion mixture; cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking turkey in to 3/4-inch crumbles. Stir in salt, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook 30 seconds more. If necessary, drain and discard juices.
- Stir in diced apple, black beans, chili beans with sauce, tomatoes, apple cider and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Gently simmer over low to medium-low heat, covered, about 15 minutes or until desired consistency. Ladle the chili into bowls. Top with sour cream. If desired, garnish with apple and lime wedges and cilantro.
Makes 8 servings
Calories: 140, Protein: 10g, Fat: 1.5 g, Carbohydrate: 22g, Sodium 335mg
Author: U.S. Apple Association Date: October 09, 2013
FOR MORE RECIPES: